Jamaican Saltfish Fritters Recipe (video)
Saltfish Fritters are always a treat! My mother used to make them as an easy Friday night dinner. Saltfish fritters, Fried Dumplings and some fried plantains (a veritable fried feast) and we were good to go. I usually make them on Sundays after church as a simple lunch. They’re very easy to make, just make sure to fry them on medium-high heat so that they’re crispy on the outside and don’t soak up much of the oil. To enjoy them at their crispiest (inside they will be soft and delicious), your best to eat them hot … yummy!
6 oz Salted cod (boneless and skinless)
1 small Tomato, finely chopped
3 Tbsp Red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 medium Onion
1 tsp Pepper sauce
1 Tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 tsp Dried thyme
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Salt (if needed)
1 cup Water
1 1/3 cup Flour
1 cup Vegetable oil (for frying)
1. Soak salted cod for 4 hours in cold water to remove some of the salt. Drain and break or cut into small pieces.
2. Mix salted cod, tomato, red pepper, onion, pepper sauce, ketchup, thyme and black pepper together in a bowl.
3. Add 1 cup of water to mixture and stir
4. Add flour and mix to make batter
5. Pour vegetable oil into non-stick frying pan